Saturday, January 16, 2010

January Leadership Education Colloquium

Our discussion on January 8th went great. We discussed the Allegory of the Cave found in Book VII of the Republic by Plato. The entire allegory filled only two pages of text, yet we found enough to talk about for 2 1/2 hours. That is what these classics, these great books are about. They provoke enough thought and inspire enough questions that we can spend a lifetime finding the answers. Isaac Newton once said,

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

I think many of us felt this same way at the last discussion.

No comments: